Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane

As I am writing this I am enjoying some wonderful beer while playing chess with my dad (just lost one game) on a set I brought back from the British Museum. This just highlights how great my family has been and how supportive they are of me. They have been amazingly supportive of my decision to join the Peace Corps and very understanding during the long process of my application, nomination, and invitation. I just want to say thank you to my whole family for being there then, now and in the future. I love you all.

I also want to thank all my co-workers, friends of the past year plus who have made this so much easier to go through with. Your encouragement has meant a great deal to me and allowed me to pursue my dreams. Thank you.

 I am getting ready to head off on a great adventure where I shall hopefully learn much and do some good. I will be in South Africa on July 8th until September 2013. Feel free to leave comments here, send me a message on facebook, email or skype if you want to talk. I will attempt to keep this updated with my life, to reassure people that I am ok, and my thoughts on what is happening.

Please keep me in your minds, hearts and prayers.


  1. Kyle's plane made it to South Africa. Off on a great adventure! Love, Mom and Dad

  2. Sat.July 9th, talked to Kyle briefly. All is well with him, flight was fine. This morning he woke up to seeing baboons walking around in thier Nature Preserve next to campus. Mom

  3. You da man Toman!!
    Thanks for status updates mom and dad!

  4. Kyle called again. He has completed initial orientation. On Wed 7-13 he is moving to his homestay family for 2 months. He will be in Northeastern South Africa. He'll be learning the Tshivenda language...I think. The phone connection was not great so that's what I heard. Kyle said mornings and nights are cold but where he's going should be a bit warmer. He has enjoyed the food especially mentioned pap. That's a thick porridge made with corn meal and eaten with vegetables or a sauce. That's all for now except that Kyle says hi to everyone reading the Blog. He won't have electronics for a couple of months but he expects to call home when he can. So we'll let everyone know the next update when it comes.

  5. We have't heard from Kyle directly since July 12, but yesterday he posted on his Facebook page that he's doing fine. Hope to hear from him sometime!